Tuesday 22 March 2011

Block of clay

The ground is really solid.  Back breaking work! I'm prising out big lumps of clay soil and it just sticks to the fork!  The hard work is breaking up the big chunks into something more soil like.  I hear the land used to be one big river clay fest in the early days.

There are tonnes of worms, I'm hoping they'll thank me for breaking up the dense soil.  Apparently the green 'weeds' growing on one half can be used as fertiliser so I'll dig them in if my back doesn't break in the meantime.  I wonder how my Nana kept a huge allotment?  Mine seems minute in comparison!

My neighbours the donkeys look on unfazed and certainly uninterested when they realise I've nothing to feed them.  Mum found an old horse shoe on the plot, a good sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment